Spring & Summer LaCrosse Action
Area Standouts and Top Performers
Wisconsin LaCrosse Federation All-State Team
- Ethan Arnett, Defense, Arrowhead (*All-American)
- Will Kirkpatrick, Midfield, Arrowhead
Classic Eight All-Conference
- Ethan Arnett – Player of the Year, Defense
- Dom Haight- 1st Team, Catholic Memorial
- Justin Morrison- 1st Team, Catholic Memorial
- Will Kirkpatrick, 1st Team, Arrowhead
- Logan Kreinz,1st Team, Kettle Moraine
- Jordan Schmid , 2nd Team, Kettle Moraine
- Joey Perrin – Honorable Mention, Waukesha West
- WLF/US Lacrosse Assistant Coach of the Year – Jake Sweitzer, Arrowhead High School
Swimmers make waves
Summer Circuit Results from Wisc State Meet
- Samantha Siebenaller, a Senior from Germantown representing Menomonee Fall Swim Club, recorded impressive times and performances at the Wisconsin Senior State Swim Meet in August. Sam took first in the 100 back and 100 fly while placing third in the 200 fly and fourth in the 50 free. Her scores earned her the invite to swim at the Phillips 66 US Championships.
- Alec Carlson,a Waukesha Express swimmer, finished second in the mens 200 L back stroke at the Wisconsin Senior State Meet.
- Danny Larson, a Waukesha Express swimmer, finished second in the mens 200m freestyle at the Wisconsin Senior State Meet and 12th at the National meet.
- Holly Stoll, a Lake Country Swim team member, finished 2nd in the 200 LM, 200 L Back, 100L Back, and 100 L Free at the Senior State Meet.
- Ashlyn Schoof, a Schroeder YMCA swim team member, finished 4th in the 200m l free and earned the right to compete in the National Championship meet.
Track and Field Standouts
State Meet All-Stars Blaze Track
- Maurice Simpson of Milwaukee King was crowned sprint champion in the Division 1 boys 100m dash and 200m dash. Maurice also competed at the AAU National championships and will sprint at the University of Kentucky.
- Becca and Emma Langer of Waukesha West competed on the runner up Division 1 4x800m relay. Emma also finished in 2nd in the 800m in the Division 1 race.
- Maddy Rondeau of Catholic Memorial competed in the girls Division 2 4x100, 4x200 and 4x400 m relays.
- Will Duchow of Kettle Moraine competed in the boys 200m dash and helped anchor his team to a 2nd Place finish in the 4x200m relay.
Boys Swimming Action
Swimming accolades and state results
- Ricky Perez, a Greenfield Senior, capped off a stellar season by placing at the Division 1 Wisconsin High School State Meet in the 200m relay, 100 yard Butterfly and 100 yard back stroke.
- Nick Gess, a Senior from Homestead High School, competed at State in the 100 back stroke
- Kaersten Meitz, a former Waukesha Express swimmer and current Purdue Freshman, set a school record in the 500m free at 4:42.11
Boys and Girls Hoops Highlights
Spiking, setting and scoring action
- Jessica Kelliher, a Senior Center from Waukesha North, averaged 31 point per game and broke the 2000 point career scoring mark. Kelliher, who will play for Division 2 Lewis University next year, became just the 18th player in state history to top 2000. Kellhiher was named Classic Eight Conference Player of the Year.
- Dani Rhodes, a Junior guard at Waukesha West High, broke the Wolverines all-time scoring record on route to helping West capture the Classic Eight Conference championship. Rhodes was also named first team all-conference.
- Kayla Lorenz, a Senior Forward at Arrowhead High, helped the Lady Warhawks advance to the State Division 1 tournament in held on March 13-14.
Congratulations to Area All-Conference Players
Girls season bests through September
- Classic Eight: Brian Willman (Arrowhead), Sam Heckel (Waukesha West), Nick Fuller (Kettle Moraine)
- Ryan Clarey, a Junior from Brookfield Academy, was recently named Midwest Conference Player of the year and 1st Team All-Suburban as he tallied up 21.1 points, 6.4 rebounds, 5.1 assists, while shooting 48 percent from 3-point range.
Area Sport Accolades
High School athletes earn honors
- Mike Gilbert, a Senior from Marquette, was named to the Second Team Milwaukee Journal Sentinel All-Area Boys Hockey Team at forward.
- 7 on 7 Highlights: Congrats to NX athletes Johnny Duranso, Johnny McCormick, Will Schmidt and Sam Carey on a stellar 7 on 7 performance with Wisconsin Core 6 team in Illinois!
- Ethan Arnett, a junior at Arrowhead High, recently committed to play La Crosse at the University of Colorado-Mesa. Arnett, along with True LaX teammates Dom Haight, Will Kirkpatrick, JP Morrison and Alec Kirkpatrick also made the Brine Illinois National Team!
Friday Football Fall Action
Area Leaders and big game players
- Milwaukee Marquette Senior quarterback Charlie Grief had 187 yards passing and 133 rushing in a 47-7 victory over Sussex Hamilton.
- South Milwaukee Senior Running Back Ian Prybl rushed for 220 yards and scored three touchdowns in a 42-7 victory of Greenfield.
Spiking, setting and scoring action
- Muskego Sophomore Brooke Gostomski collected 24 kills, 26 digs and four aces in a Muskego victory over Waukesha West.
- New Berlin United Senior Matt Zeske had 13 kills in a 3-0 upset victory over Milwaukee Marquette. Zeske was named Milwaukee Journal Sentinel athlete of the week for his performance.
- Catholic Memorial Sophomore setter Maddy Rondeau posted 29 assists in the Lady Crusaders victory over Arrowhead.
Girls season bests through September
- West Bend West Junior Kylie Engstrom completed an impressive double victory in the 200m free style and 500m free style with victories in the Wauwatosa Red Raider Invitational.
- Arrowhead's 200 free relay of Kelly Jacob, Maddie Barta, Rocky Laabs and Abby Cabush won in 1:37.94 and Jacob, Megan Doty, Laabs and Cabush won the 400 relay in 3:32.50.
WFCA All-Star Game South Team Participants:
Terry Wallen, DB, Brookfield Central; Sean MacGuire, QB, Franklin; Alec Kocour, SS, Catholic Memorial; Christian Almonte, RB, Menomonee Falls; Matt Seitz, LB, Arrowhead; Eric Lutzen, DL, Pewaukee; Austin Vetta, OL, Waukesha West; Matt Zeitler, OL, Wisconsin Lutheran; Billy Hirschfield, DL, Arrowhead
Hittin' & Throwin' & Catchin' Action
Boys baseball and girls softball area updates
Zach Henderson, a Senior Pitcher and hitter, from Greenfield got some recent area press. Check out the article here.
Domini Clementi, a sophomore at Arrowhead, recently verbally committed to play baseball at the University of Michigan.
Noelle Weiss, a softball pitcher who worked with NX Level pitching coach Amy Portratz, has lead her Arrowhead high school team into the championship circuit with stellar play. Check out the article here.
Kali Kaestner, a Mukwonago junior, picked up three victories, struck out 22 in 19 innings and drove in 10 runs in victories over Waukesha West, Catholic Memorial and Waukesha South. Kaestner is leading MukTown into championship season.
Congrats to Mike Mierow, a UW-Whitewater catcher, on being a part of the 2014 National Championship Division 3 baseball team
Sarah Watts has committed to attend St. Cloud State on a soccer scholarship. Watts, a Senior at DSHA enters the championship season as a productive team captain and midfielder. Check out the article here.
Waukesha West Girls Soccer team became the 2014 Classic Eight conference champions in May. Many members took part in SC Waukesha’s winter training program held at NX Level. SC Waukesha is also coached by Nic Vorberg who recently became the assistant head coach for the Milwaukee Wave. Nic was a NX Level trainee throughout his career!
Blazing Track Times
Conference and Regional Updates
Sprint specialist’s Ryan Send, Nic Taylor, Kevin Crowley, Erin Jaynes, Maddy Rondeau and Maurice Smith round out the Wisconsin Track and Field Honor Roll with blazing fast times in the 100m or 200m. 100m : Simpson (10.53) Send (10.92) Nic Taylor (10.95) Jaynes (12.6) & 200m: Simpson (21.96) Send (22.05) Crowley (22.06) and Rondeau (26)
Tyler Parbs, a Senior from Wisconsin Lutheran, ranks on the Top 10 Honor Roll in the pole vault with a 14’6 clearance at the Wisconsin Little 10 conference meet. Parbs also competed in the 200m (22.9) and 4x200 (1:30)
Kettle Moraine Lazers athletes, Sam Haluska and Will Duchow, compete on the states top ten honor roll 4x400m relay entering the Sectional meet
Matt Duchow, an Arrowhead sophomore, recently became the Classic Eight Conference 100m champion with a 11.2 finish
Track Stars Speed to Victory
Boys and girls track and field stats
Classic Eight Conference Results:
Boys: Sam Haluska, KM, 2nd Place 400m dash 53.9/ 1st Place 4x440m relay; Will Duchow, KM, 1st Place 160m relay 1:18.9 / 4x240m relay; Justin Blatnik, Arrowhead, 3rd Place Shot Put 46’04’
Girls: Caroline Bong, Arrowhead, 1st Place 60 yard dash 7.74 ; Kathleen Wartman, Arrowhead, 1st Place 200m dash 28.2 ; Jenna Lederman, Muskego, 1st Place 1 mile run 5:22:00;
Nelson Daniels Track Invitational:
Girls: Erin Jaynes, CMH, 3rd Place 60 yard dash 7.59/1st Place 4x200m relay ; Boys : Sam Haluska, KM, 4x400m relay 1st Place
Wisconsin Little 10 Indoor Conference/ WI USATF State Indoor Meet:
Tyler Parbs, Wisconsin Luterhan, 14’0 pole vault and Top Ten Ranking in State
Wisconsin Lutheran Invitational:
Ryan Send a Senior from Brookfield Academy, recently broke a meet record on April 26th at the Wisconsin Lutheran Invitational with a 200m dash victory in 22.04 seconds. Ryan also sprinted to victory in 10.95 seconds in the 100m dash.
Basketball Area All-Stars
Boys and girls track and field stats
Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association:
1st Team All State Honors: Riley LaChance, G, Brookfield Central; Sean Clarey, G, Brookfield Academy ;
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel All-State and All Area Team:
1st Team- Riley LaChance, G, Brookfield Central ; 2nd Team : Elijiah Goodman, F, Brookfield Central ; Honorable Mention : Ryan Clarey/Sean Clarey F/G Brookfield Academy ; Bradley Newman, G, Brookfield Central ; Eric Lutzen, C, Pewaukee ; Caleb Mortag, F, Brookfield Central
LaChance is a multi-year standout on the Brookfield Central varsity squad, leading the Lancers to a Greater Metro title and unbeaten regular season as a senior. The 6-2 Vanderbilt recruit poured in 23 points per game for head coach Mark Adams.
Check out the article here.
- Wisconsin Basketball Association: 1st Team All State Honors: Shakeela Fowler, G, Milwaukee King; Arike Ogunbowale, G, DSHA; Lydia Rohde, F., Brookfield Central
- Ogunbowale is a three-time First Team All-State selection and could go down as one of the top players to come out of Wisconsin in some time. The 5-9 junior guard has offers from virtually every top college program in the country and led DSHA to the Greater Metro title while averaging 22.7 points, 12.2 rebounds, and 3.9 assists per game.
- Shakeela Fowler was a key figure as a freshman when Milwaukee King advanced to the state title game, and has developed into a team leader. Helping King to the Milwaukee City-Gold Division title, she averaged 17.4 points per game with more than 4 assists and steals per contest.
- Lydia Rohde has connected on 58 three-pointers while shooting 49.2 percent from long range as Brookfield Central advanced to the Division 1 sectional finals. The 5-foot-10 guard is averaging a team high 13.3 and 4 assists per game for head coach Dan Wandrey.
Check out the article here.
››February / Winter 2014
Area Hoopsters Light it Up
- The Brookfield Central boys basketball team completed a perfect regular season with a 22 and 0 record. Special recognition to “rebound king” Elijiah Goodman, Caleb “Slam Dunk” Mortag, Brad Newman, Luke Rasmussen, and Terry Wallen. Special shout out to Riley LaChance on tying a single game conference record with 44 points. LaChance finished with 23.3 points per game in regular season. Recently, USA Today ranked the Lancers at #21 in the latest national rankings.
- The Greater Metro Conference scoring leaders as of February 21 included Arike Ogunbowale (DSHA-21.4 pts), Lydia Rohde (BC 14.8 pts) and Caroline Busch (BC 6.2 pts).
- Brookfield Academy Boys basketball became back to back conference champions with a two season record of 32-1. B.A., led by Coach Pat Clarey, featured great play from all-conference players Sean and Ryan Clarey.
- Waukesha West girls is led by regional scoring top ten player Dani Rhodes (16.9 pts)
Football Athletes Sign Letters of Intent
- Area athletes included: Sam Eckert, WR-TE, East Troy, Wisconsin (walk-on) - Billy Hirschfeld, DT, Arrowhead, Wisconsin - Eric Lutzen, DE, Pewaukee, Northwestern (walk-on) - George Panos, OL, Arrowhead, Wisconsin - Luke Rasmussen, OL, Brookfield Central, Minnesota - Conor Sheehy, DT, Milwaukee Marquette, Wisconsin - Alec Kocour, DB, Catholic Memorial, Illinois State - Sean McGuire, QB, Franklin, Western Illinois - Drew Patterson, RB, Sussex Hamilton, Western Illinois - Terry Wallen, DB, Brookfield Central, Drake - Drew Rhodes, WR-DB, Waukesha West, UW-La Crosse. Check out more info here.
››Winter / New Year's 2014
Lancers Basketball Post Perfect Start
The Brookfield Central boys basketball team improved to 9-0 with a 65-57 victory over Mukwonago on December 30 in the Luke Homan Tournament. The Lancers have seen key contributions from Elijiah Goodman, Caleb Mortag, Brad Newman, Luke Rasmussen, and Terry Wallen. Special shout out to Riley LaChance on recently breaking a 46 year old all-time individual team scoring record. Check out the article here.
8th grade FBU South Wisconsin Team Plays Big in National Tournament
Lee and Michech play big in state title
Menomonee Falls seniors Simone Lee and Maddie Michech played big in helping the girl’s volleyball team secure there first state title on November 9th at the WIAA State Championships held in Ashwaubenon. Lee had 21 kills and Michech helped with 13 digs in their victory of Westosha Central. Falls started and finished the season ranked #1. Check out the article here.
Hirschfield named top defensive lineman in Wisconsin
Area NX football athletes overwhelm State Coaches Honor Roll
Wisconsin Football Coaches Association 2013 Awards
Billy Hirscfield (Arrowhead/DL) Connory Sheey (Marquette/DL) Eric Lutzen (Pewaukee/DL) Matt Seitz (Arrowhead/LB) Alec Kocour (CMH/ DB) Kory Kodanko (West De Pere/ OL) Luke Rasmussen (Broofield Central/ OL) Sean McGuire (Franklin/ QB )
Terry Wallen (Brookfield Central/ DB) Matt Zeitler (Wisconsin Lutheran/ OL) Ricky Finco (Arrowhead/ WR)
Mania Swims in "Brazil Fast Lane"
Adam Mania competed in the Raia Rapida Fast Lane swimming competition in Rio De Janiero in Brazil on September 29th. Mania competed on a 200m relay team in which he finished with a solid 50m backstroke time of 26.07. Check out the article here.
LaChance chooses Vanderbilt
MMA stars Making Impact Felt
Chelsea Lee spikes way to honors
Eastern Illinois sophomore Chelsea Lee was recently selected as the Adidas® Ohio Valley Conference 'Offensive Player of the Week after she made the All-Tournament team at Outside Hitter in route to finishing with 44 kills at the Drake Invitational. Find out more here.
Swim star Meyers shines than signs
University of Lake School Senior Alex Meyers recently competed for USA Swimming’s Junior National Team and swam at the 2013 World Junior Championships, where she won a bronze in the 400 free relay by splitting a 56.34 in the 3rd leg of finals. The following month, Meyers committed to Stanford University’s 2014 class. Find out more here.
Siebenaller Swims to Gold at State
For the first time in more than six years, Menomonee Falls Swim Club had a state champion when Sam Siebenaller placed first in the 15-16 girls division of the 50-meter freestyle, cruising to a victory in 26.79 seconds. Other top-eight finishers included Haley DeGrace in the 100 and 200 breaststroke, Rachel Siebenaller in the 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1500 free and Sam Siebenaller in the 50 and 100 free, 100 backstroke and 100 butterfly. Find out more here.
Pettis, Koch, and Krauss set for Aug 31st UFC 164
UFC 164 comes to the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, WI, on Saturday August 31st at 7 pm. Headlining the card will be a UFC Lightweight title fight between NX Level’s Anthony “Showtime” Pettis and Ben “Smooth” Henderson. NX Level athlete Erik “NewBreed” Koch will take on Duston Poirier at featherweight and former NX Level Intern Pascal “Panzer” Krauss matches up again Hyun Gyu Lim at the welterweight division.
Wonder Woman Bonnie Meerschaert Climbs for Cause
Bonnie Meerschaert needs your help to raise funds for Cystic Fibrosis. Bonnie will hike a 30 mile portion of the Ice Age Trail to benefit the 30,000 plus U.S. children and adults with the disease. Find out more and donate to Bonnie.
Henderson Garners Attention from MLB Scouts
Greendale’s All-State Pitcher Zach Henderson received an invite by the Texas Rangers to attend the Top 50 Midwest Showcase hosted by the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium. After a great performance, Henderson has been pursued by the New York Mets, Seattle Mariners, Minnesota Twins, and Cincinnati Reds. Henderson has also received nine Division 1 scholarship offers. Expect big things from Zach as he embarks on his Senior year.